Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cancer news

Finally some good news among the darkness!

Thank you, thank you very much for all the prayers!

The doctor moved the appointment to yesterday so we did not have to wait until today.

My dad has cancer, but its ONLY in the prostate from what the doctors could determine via all the testing. There is still the possibility of a crazy cell somewhere, but we will only know when they take our the prostate and retest for the antigen.

Prostate cancer is one of the least horrible cancers from what everybody has written to me here (thank you Leila for sharing your story and all the rest!) and from what we have read so this is also positive.

They do not know the extent of the tumor since the biospy does not give this information, but since they will take out the prostate complety this will of less importance.

He will need to have a 5 hour operation in September (with several riks due to his age and health) and from there they will need to continue monitoring him for at least a year until fully OK, but this is still much, much better than metastasis.

On the other hand the doctor talked to my parents about some new studies. I am sharing in case this is of interest to anybody out there.

The univ.ersity of Michi.gan has published a study linking in families three types of cancer: prostate, breast and colon cancer. My father (one of 8th) has one sister who had very aggresive breast cancer in her later 30s. She has been cancer free now more than 30 years much with the help of alternative therapies.

And now my father has prostate cancer.

The doctor told my dad that if one (only one) of these cancers is present in the family the other related family members need to monitor for the 3 cancers more aggresively than normal since they have been studying a marked increase of all of 3 in the families with at least 1 member with one of them.

So this means that my dad (the very German man who does not share any problems with anybody ) needs to inform all his brothers and sisters to be extra careful with these 3 types of cancer.

The doctor (who is linked to the Ma.yo clinic via the British American hospital here) told my parents that all persons related to him will need to be put on an at risk plan for extra monitoring for these cancers including my sister, brother and me.

Not nice to hear that you have more risk for cancer, but its also good to know now so we can be extra careful.

I am sure God has a plan in all of this and good will come out of all of this.

12 comments:

  1. That is great news! I will pray that the operation goes well and he recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness. Although he still has an uphill battle in front of him, it sounds like he has a great chance of fully recovering. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief!!!! I will continue to pray for his health and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news! Keeping him in prayer. I'm so glad that the news was the best that it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great news! Continued prayers for him & your family-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news...continuing my prayers for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such good news! So glad!!! Will continue to pray for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news! I will continue to pray for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful news! I have been reading and praying! So thankful for good news!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh I remember this like it was yesterday. I experienced this same situation and was so relieved to find out my dad was in a better situation than we thought. I will absolutely pray for your daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news in the midst of a scary time. Still praying.

    ReplyDelete