I met so many amazing people that I had long admired that its really a blessing for me to have been among them.
Just a few: Dr B from Ireland, an amazing doctor from Australia, TCIE´s boss who is such an amazing lady and who told me again how wonderful TCIE is and many other very committed people to helping women.
I also met 2 bloggers!!!
One Perfect Power in Weakness who was there for a few hours and I got to meet baby Rachel who is absolutely gorgeous. I am sad I had a meeting to attend so we did not get to talk a lot, but I am very grateful to have met her baby who is truly an inspiration for me.
And I lso met Polkadot from Making God Laugh who was a very big highlight from this trip. She is amazing and beautiful both inside and outside and has the most wonderful eyes. We were able to talk several times and I am so grateful for my time with her. I will keep you in my prayers.
One of the great gifts from this trip was that one night I went to dinner with Dr B, another doctor (Dr Y from St Louis who many people told me is an amazing endo surgeon ) and several practitioners.
Later everybody left, but Dr Y and Dr B and my friend B and me ended up talking for a very long time after dinner about the wealth of information in the blogs and about the "Infertility companion for catholics" book. Dr.B thought that the blogs could provide very valuable insights for the Napro doctors and even asked me to compile a list of the things that we see as important for them to consider.
I specially told him about the success stories with reproductive inmunology and that felt Napro still had a long way to go with this. He promised to read all suggestions that I would send him so if you want anything to be considered by a Napro doctor send them my way.
I found this openness to listen amazing and very, very admirable for such a recognized doctor.
After dinner while walking back to the hotel and very surprisingly to me Dr B offered too look at both my friend B`s and my chart.
Dr B is a family doctor who is perhaps Europe´s most recognized Napro doctor. His approach includes lifestyle, nutrition and he is very open to alternative medicine and I have been watching his videos on Youtube forever as well reading some of this protocols online.
When he told us this I really saw it as an opportunity from God to have a fresh look at my case from what I believe is a very different Napro perspective from the normal one.
Here are his recommendations in case they help anybody with fresh ideas:
First and foremost:
Every woman 38 and over and her DH MUST be on:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 mgs
- Vitamine C 1000 mgs
- DHEA 25mgs a day
This he considers to be an anti-aging treatment for both egg and sperm and crucial for us older patients.
No wheat, no caffeine, no milk.
He does also allergy testing via blood samples, but considers that most people respond very well to taking the above out and if still not remarkably better do the testing . He has seen many great results with this. In some cases even only doing this people have pregnancies after years of trying
Most are very similar to the ones suggested by the Gianna center, but a couple are some what different and I discussed with him the pros and cons of them,.
- I am on 50 mgs Naltrexone which is controversial among Napro doctors. Some consider it to be too high and that you can get great results by doing 4.5 which is the low dose naltrexone. Several doctors at the conference mentioned that they thought it was much better this way so I am really considering it and they mentioned that lowering the dose should not have bad effects. He recommended I speak about this with Dr. H.
- Clomid is also the way to go when you are older even if you ovulate since it " can make the egg stronger". I do not know the exact mechanism but I have been told this by Dr. H , Dr B and Dr. N so all agree that I need to do it and I will start the next cycle. He mentioned that you can do this for a year with no problems.
- In case its too drying I will need to go on Femara which works similar to Clomid. He mentioned you should not dismiss one for the other automatically, but give both a try since they tend to have different effects on women and you do not know until you try them both. Femara would be 25 mgs on CD 3 before breakfast.
- He recommended a trigger shot of 10, 000 IU of HCG on day 3 of mucus buildup. He believes I am ovulating normally, but has had very good results with this resulting in a better ovulation.
- Unlike the doctor in NY he thinks I have an infection due to all the procedures from my miscarriage and this is the reason we have not conceived again. He recommended a combination of medicines starting on CD 12. Before this I am to start Diflucan for 10 days to get rid of the candida that is normally in the body and then on day 12 start with both Biaxin and Flagyl for 3 full weeks. He recommended a very strong probiotic called Pre bio 7 which is not available as far as I know in the USA.
At the end of the conversation I asked him point blank if he thought we still had a chance.
And he surprised me by being extremely positive, far more than I ever expected being my age.
He said he would tell me if not point blank, but actually he was very, very positive that it was possible. He said your cycles seem very normal, your hormones look great and resemble those of a much younger person and exactly like the doctor from the Gianna center he said he believed it was actually fixing some the small things that would get us a new pregnancy. He thought infection was the main problem. He asked me to try for at least 12 good cycles and even 18 and then and only until then give up. I am not sure I could keep up so long, but I know that at least I will give it a good 6 months.
He said he saw no signs of pre menopause and actually thought I would have a late menopause just like my mom in the early fifties so he considers I could at least try until 43..
That night I felt the same peace that I felt with the call with the Gianna center. Now 3 of the top Napro doctors have looked at my case and all agree that there are still small things to fix, but that once fixing them I could again be a mother.
It might not be the case as I am 41 and I have struggled for 5 years now with IF and had only one pregnancy in all this time, but I feel I have truly done all possible and its now up to God.
And the cherry on the cake, Today I am in San Francisco and my sister who lives in the Yucatan penniensula is also here with her family on her way to Hawaii and her hotel is 2 blocks from mine.
How in the world did we end up meeting here I do not know, but I am ecstatic as I will get to see my niece and nephew today and tomorrow.